An assignment editor manages and delegates the coverage of news items for broadcast — working with the News editor. He/she gathers leads on possible news stories. Because of his/her involvement in providing the community with accurate and relevant news coverage, many assignment editors have established contacts with civic or political leaders, law enforcement, community organisations or other reliable sources of information. After discussing with the News editor on what will be covered, the assignment editor assigns coverage to reporters and other news team members, working quickly to ensure that they will be able to meet deadlines.
An assignment editor monitors the status of news teams and coordinates the coverage of multiple stories at once, which requires organization and management skills. The position requires a good bachelor's degree accompanied by at least five years of professional news experience.
· You will oversee daily operation of the News Assignments desk.
· You will work with news editors to decide on daily coverage of local news stories and assign these
to the relevant on-location reporters.
· You should be a dynamic individual with a good University Degree.
· You must have an excellent command of the English Language, both written and oral, and a good
grasp of political issues.
· You must also have at least 5 years of experience in the similar capacity.
· You must be prepared to work irregular hours